The Commonwealth Fund Fellowship in Minority Health Policy at Harvard University
since 1996 preparing tomorrow's leaders in health
Call for Application
(2021-2022 Fellowship Year)
Established in 1996 and supported by The Commonwealth Fund, the Commonwealth Fund Fellowship in Minority Health Policy at Harvard University is a unique fellowship designed to prepare physician-leaders, particularly physicians from groups underrepresented in medicine, to become leaders who improve the health of disadvantaged and vulnerable populations through transforming health care delivery systems and promoting innovation in policies, practices and programs that address health equity and the social determinants of health. The program provides strong academic training and coursework, including an MPH or MPA, for highly qualified physicians. It enhances the leadership ability of physicians, offering them substantive knowledge in health policy and management, while creating a network of physician-leaders capable of advancing successfully among the public, nonprofit, and academic sectors.
We seek applications from individuals who are highly motivated and have great leadership potential to become a change agent in health care delivery systems for vulnerable populations.
Up to five one-year, degree-granting fellowships will be awarded per year. Each Fellowship provides: $60,000 one-year stipend, full tuition, individual health insurance, books, fellowship travel, and financial assistance for a practicum project.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- • Physicians who have completed residency in the U.S., and are either BE/BC. Additional experience beyond residency, such as chief residency, is preferred.
• Experience or interest in addressing and improving the health needs of minority, disadvantaged and vulnerable populations as well as in advancing system change in ways that improve the health for all populations, but with particular emphasis on vulnerable populations.
• Strong evidence of leadership experience or potential, especially as related to community efforts, quality improvement, transformation of health care delivery systems, and/or health policy.
• Intention to pursue a career in policy, public service, and/or academia.
• U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency.
December 1, 2020, 5:00 pm ET
Informational Webinar for the Commonwealth Fund Fellowship in Minority Health Policy at Harvard University will take place in October 2020. Links to watch webinars from previous years are available on the Fellowship web site.