Journal Club provides an opportunity for fellows to discuss major health policy and disparities issues currently in the literature. Each session is facilitated by an invited guest—leaders serving in various roles in the health fields are asked to contribute their personal knowledge and experience to Journal Club. Articles are at the discretion of the invited guest, but we encourage timely articles that focus on health policy, health care reform, health disparities, historically marginalized populations, or hospital leadership.
Recent Journal Club Leaders:
Samantha Rosman, MD, MPH, Attending Physician, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Boston Children’s Hospital; Instructor in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School.
- Obegu P, Armstrong J, Bartram M. Centering equity and lived experience: implementing a community-based research grant on cannabis and mental health. Int J Equity Health. 2022 Aug 20;21(1):113. doi: 10.1186/s12939-022-01722-4. PMID: 35987674; PMCID: PMC9391625.
- Voller S, Chitalu CM, Nyondo-Mipando AL, Opobo T, Bangirana CA, Thorogood N, Schellenberg J, Chi P. "We should be at the table together from the beginning": perspectives on partnership from stakeholders at four research institutions in sub-Saharan Africa. Int J Equity Health. 2022 Aug 17;21(1):111. doi: 10.1186/s12939-022-01707-3. PMID: 35978323; PMCID: PMC9387072.
- Jumbam DT. How (not) to write about global health. BMJ Glob Health. 2020 Jul;5(7):e003164. doi: 10.1136/bmjgh-2020-003164. PMID: 32690483; PMCID: PMC7371021.
Stephen Keith, MD, MSPH, Chief Business Development and Medical Officer, Evanston Technology Partners.
- Hwang TJ, Brawley OW. New Federal Incentives for Diversity in Clinical Trials. N Engl J Med. 2022 Oct 13;387(15):1347-1349. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp2209043. Epub 2022 Oct 8. PMID: 36214598.
- Perera F, Nadeau K. Climate Change, Fossil-Fuel Pollution, and Children's Health. N Engl J Med. 2022 Jun 16;386(24):2303-2314. doi: 10.1056/NEJMra2117706. PMID: 35704482.
Chloe Slocum, MD, MPH, Director of Health Policy, Associate Director of Quality, Spaulding Rehabilitation Network, Cambridge, MA; Instructor in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School.
- Worobey LA, Heinemann AW, Anderson KD, Fyffe D, Dyson-Hudson TA, Berner T, Boninger ML. Factors Influencing Incidence of Wheelchair Repairs and Consequences Among Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2022 Apr;103(4):779-789.
- Celeste-Villalvir A, Kovic C, Argüelles F. The Intersectional Impact of Disability and Immigration on Health: A Health Needs Assessment of Immigrants Living With Spinal Cord Injury in Houston, Texas. Community Health Equity Res Policy. 2023 Jan 20:2752535X221132445.
Magdala Chery, DO, MPH, Health Equity Clinical Specialist, Google.
- Raza, M.M., Venkatesh, K.P. & Kvedar, J.C. Promoting racial equity in digital health: applying a cross-disciplinary equity framework. npj Digit. Med. 6, 3 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41746-023-00747-5
- Richardson, S., Lawrence, K., Schoenthaler, A.M. et al. A framework for digital health equity. npj Digit. Med. 5, 119 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41746-022-00663-0
- Hammond, A., Jain, B., Celi, L.A. et al. An extension to the FDA approval process is needed to achieve AI equity. Nat Mach Intell 5, 96–97 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s42256-023-00614-8
Samantha Kaplan, MD, MPH, Assistant Dean, Diversity and Multicultural Affairs; Assistant Professor, General OB/GYN, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Boston University School of Medicine.
- Whaley CM, Pera MF, Cantor J, et al. Changes in Health Services Use Among Commercially Insured US Populations During the COVID-19 Pandemic. JAMA Network Open. 2020;3(11):e2024984. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.24984
Denise De Las Nueces, MD, MPH, Medical Director, Boston Health Care for the Homeless; Assistant Professor of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine.
- Fine DR, Dickins KA, Adams LD, De Las Nueces D, Weinstock K, Wright J, Gaeta JM, Baggett TP. Drug Overdose Mortality Among People Experiencing Homelessness, 2003 to 2018. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Jan 4;5(1):e2142676. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.42676. PMID: 34994792; PMCID: PMC8742197.
- Fine DR, Herzberg D, Wakeman SE. Societal Biases, Institutional Discrimination, and Trends in Opioid Use in the USA. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 Mar;36(3):797-801. doi: 10.1007/s11606-020-05974-0. PMID: 32556873; PMCID: PMC7947135.
Brian Swann, DDS, MPH, Interim Dean for Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging and Assistant Professor of Oral Health Policy and Epidemiology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
- Steinberg BJ, Hilton IV, Iida H, Samelson R. Oral health and dental care during pregnancy. Dent Clin North Am. 2013 Apr;57(2):195-210. doi: 10.1016/j.cden.2013.01.002. Erratum in: Dent Clin North Am. 2013 Jul;57(3):ix. Iada, Hiroko [corrected to Iida, Hiroko]. PMID: 23570802.
- Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy. ACOG Practice Bulletin. 2018;189:e15-e30.
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Massachusetts Oral Health Practice Guidelines for Pregnancy and Early Childhood. 2016 Mar.